Forte de São João Baptista da Foz (Porto)
Vídeos
Factos-Chave
- Fortaleza histórica na foz do rio Douro, no Porto.
- Oferece vistas para o rio, o mar e a costa atlântica.
- A sua construção original remonta a 1570, no reinado de D. Sebastião.
- Desempenhou um papel crucial na defesa costeira e fluvial da cidade.
- Foi palco de momentos importantes da história portuguesa, incluindo a Guerra Peninsular e o Cerco do Porto.
- A poetisa Florbela Espanca viveu no forte em 1921.
Meteorologia
Em Porto
O Forte de São João Baptista da Foz, também conhecido como Castelo de São João da Foz ou Fortaleza da Foz do Douro, ergue-se num dos pontos mais simbólicos do Porto: a barra do Douro, onde o rio encontra o Atlântico. A sua posição dominante explica a função para que foi pensado, protegendo o acesso fluvial à cidade e vigiando uma das entradas marítimas mais importantes do Norte de Portugal.
Uma fortaleza entre o rio e o mar
A visita vale tanto pela história como pela envolvente. O forte fica junto à Foz do Douro, perto do Jardim do Passeio Alegre, com vistas abertas para o rio, para o mar e para a frente costeira. É um lugar interessante para quem quer perceber a relação do Porto com a navegação, a defesa costeira e a paisagem atlântica da cidade.
Camadas de história
A origem da fortificação remonta ao reinado de D. Sebastião. Iniciada em 1570, a estrutura quinhentista foi associada ao mestre de fortificações Simão de Ruão e envolveu antigas construções religiosas ligadas aos beneditinos de Santo Tirso. A área guardava também memória de uma igreja renascentista e do paço abacial promovidos por D. Miguel da Silva, com projeto atribuído a Francesco de Cremona.
Depois da Restauração da Independência, no século XVII, a defesa da costa ganhou nova urgência. O engenheiro francês Charles Lassart desenhou uma remodelação mais robusta, adaptada às exigências militares da época, e as obras ficaram a cargo do arquiteto beneditino João Turriano. A fortificação foi ampliada com baluartes e uma organização pensada para concentrar a artilharia sobretudo pelo lado de terra.
Do uso militar ao património
O forte atravessou momentos marcantes da história portuguesa. Em 1808, durante a Guerra Peninsular, ali foi hasteada a bandeira portuguesa num dos primeiros gestos de reação à ocupação napoleónica. Mais tarde, durante o Cerco do Porto, ajudou a proteger o desembarque de mantimentos para as forças liberais.
Com a evolução da artilharia e das embarcações, a função defensiva perdeu importância. O espaço chegou a ser usado como prisão política e ficou associado a vários episódios históricos, incluindo a detenção de jesuítas no século XVIII. No século XX, ganhou ainda uma ligação inesperada à literatura: Florbela Espanca viveu no forte em 1921, acompanhando o marido, oficial da guarnição.
O que observar
Apesar das transformações, ainda se percebe a escala defensiva do conjunto, a implantação estratégica sobre a foz do Douro e elementos como o portal neoclássico, construído no final do século XVIII. O Forte de São João Baptista da Foz está classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público desde 1967 e continua a ser uma paragem recomendável para quem gosta de património militar, história do Porto e paisagens marítimas.
Por não funcionar como um monumento turístico convencional, convém confirmar previamente as condições de visita, sobretudo no caso de grupos.
Sobre Porto
A Invicta, cidade Património Mundial com o seu centro histórico ribeirinho. Capital do Norte, famosa pelo vinho do Porto, pontes e francesinha.
Avaliações do Google
One of many forts in the area. Highlights for this one include it being free to enter, nice landscaping, and excellent location. This fort operates as a city park this is free (no cost) to enter. The landscaping inside and outside the perimeter wall is well manicured—it looks so nice. While many forts in town provide views of one or the other, this fort provides views of both the ocean and the Douro Rover as it flows into the Atlantic. On our visit, we were able to freely walk nearly the entire property which included a few rooms inside, much of the upper parapet, moat areas, and an exterior courtyard within the perimeter wall. It was not crowded at all—I think we only saw two other people on our early morning, weekday visit. Again, there are several of these forts in town, but I think this was my favorite.
Great Fort, lots of things to see. It is free to get in. Lovely views on a clear day. Well worth 30 to 60 minutes to look around.
It was quite a walk from downtown Porto, but well worth it! The fort itself is small, but free to wander in and the ruins of the church inside were very interesting. We stopped at a couple of botanical gardens along the way that were very enjoyable as well. Seeing where the Douro joins the Atlantic was a great addition to the other sites we saw while in Porto.
The abbot of Santo Tirso monastery and bishop of Viseu, Dom Miguel da Silva, had a church and abbots residence built where the fort now stands, for which he resorted to the services of the Italian architect Francesco de Cremona. Together with the São Miguel-o-Anjo Lighthouse (completed in 1527 a few hundred meters away from the fort), they were the first manifestations of Renaissance architecture in Northern Portugal). The fort was commissioned in 1567, one year after an attack by French pirates on Madeira.[1] Construction of the fort began during the reign of King Sebastian (1557–1578), in 1570, and took eight years, under the supervision of João Gomes da Silva, a diplomat and trusted man of the Court and designed by the master of fortifications Simão de Rouen, son of Jean de Rouen, it consisted of a simple bastioned structure, surrounding the old medieval structures of the hospice, monastery, and the church of the Benedictines of Santo Tirso. With the War of Restoration of independence, the remodeling of the fort was deemed necessary. Fearing a Spanish invasion along the northern border of the kingdom, King John IV (1640–56) dispatched the new Chief Engineer of the Kingdom, the French Charles Lassart, to the city of Porto in 1642. He had the opportunity to verify, in loco, the ineffectiveness of the 16th century structure in the face of 17th century offensive means, and he prepared a new project that expanded and reinforced it. The works were in charge of the Benedictine architect João Turriano. However, problems raised by the source of funds at the Porto City Council and personal problems of the forts Lieutenant-Governor Pinto de Matos (1643–1645) significantly delayed the start of the works. With the appointment of Martim Gonçalves da Câmara, as a replacement for Pinto de Matos (May 1646), work finally started, with the demolition of the Old Church in the same year. The chancel and nave of the church, with the involvement of the bastioned structure and the dismantling of the cover, functioned as the fort's courtyard.[1] Made a priority in the face of the invasion of Minho by Spanish troops, they were completed in 1653. Two years later, it was considered the second stronghold in the kingdom, after Fort São Julião da Barra, and the key to the city of Porto, which the fort not only secured but also the entire province of Entre-Douro e Minho and that of Beira. At the end of the 17th century, in 1694, it was garrisoned by an infantry terço paid by the Porto city hall. As a result of the evolution of ships and artillery, the fort gradually lost its defensive function, being used as a prison for political prisoners. In 1759, when the Society of Jesus was expelt, 227 Jesuits were held there. Among the illustrious names who were detained in their prisons, at the time of the Marquis of Pombal stand out those of Tomás da Silva Teles, Viscount of Vila Nova de Cerveira (who died there in 1762), and José de Seabra da Silva, and in the 19th century, the liberals José da Silva Passos and the Duke of Terceira. At the beginning of the 19th century, during the Peninsular War, on June 6, 1808, Sergeant Major Raimundo José Pinheiro occupied its premises and, in the following dawn, hoisted the Portuguese flag on its mast, the first act of Portuguese insurrection against the Napoleonic occupation. The fortification would be involved a few years later in the Portuguese Civil War, having protected the landing of supplies, during the siege of Porto (1832–1833). In the 20th century it was the residence of the poet Florbela Espanca, wife of one of the officers of the garrison. It was classified as a "Property of Public Interest" in 1967.[1] After being abandoned for a few years, in the first half of the 1990s, the monument underwent archaeological intervention under the responsibility of the Urban Archeology Office of the Museum and Historical and Artistic Heritage Division of the Porto city council. It currently houses the National Defense Institute.
Interesting 16th century defensive fort that you can freely explore. It has a few interesting nooks and crannies, and the abandoned remains of the old church of Sao Joao da Foz do Doura which had been built by the order of the Bishop Dom Miguel da Silva and designed by the italian architect Francesco da Cremona. Not all of the fort and church is accessible because it's a bit in disrepair and some areas are full of debris or just dangerous. I'm not sure why the Portuguese government hasn't taken better care of it... This fort was a key part of the coastal defenses protecting the Douro bar. Its construction began in 1570 and was completed in 1647 when the existing ramparts were built.
Avaliações de Utilizadores
Escreva uma avaliação
Ainda não há avaliações. Seja o primeiro a avaliar!
Atrações Próximas
Igreja de São João Baptista da Foz do Douro (Porto)
Porto (Portugal) 0.5 km
Arroz de Cabidela - Casa Rocha (Porto)
Porto (Portugal) 0.5 km
Pastel de Nata - Café 55, Porto
Porto (Portugal) 1.4 kmMarco Geodésico Dominicanos
Porto (Portugal) 1.4 km
Miradouro do Estuário do Douro (Vila Nova de Gaia)
Vila Nova de Gaia (Portugal) 1.5 km