Fort São João Baptista da Foz (Porto)
Videos
Wichtige Fakten
- Historische Festung an der Mündung des Douro in Porto.
- Bietet Ausblicke auf den Fluss, das Meer und die Atlantikküste.
- Die ursprüngliche Errichtung erfolgte 1570 unter König Sebastian.
- Spielte eine entscheidende Rolle bei der Küsten- und Flussverteidigung der Stadt.
- War Schauplatz wichtiger Momente der portugiesischen Geschichte, darunter der Peninsular War und die Belagerung von Porto.
- Die Dichterin Florbela Espanca lebte 1921 im Fort.
Wetter
In Porto
Das Fort São João Baptista da Foz, auch als Burg São João da Foz oder Festung von Foz do Douro bekannt, steht an einem der symbolträchtigsten Orte Portos: an der Mündung des Douro, wo der Fluss auf den Atlantik trifft. Seine beherrschende Lage erklärt die ursprüngliche Aufgabe der Anlage, den Flusszugang zur Stadt zu schützen und einen wichtigen maritimen Zugang im Norden Portugals zu überwachen.
Zwischen Douro und Atlantik
Der Ort ist sowohl wegen seiner Geschichte als auch wegen seiner Umgebung interessant. Das Fort liegt in Foz do Douro, in der Nähe des Jardim do Passeio Alegre, mit weitem Blick auf den Fluss, das Meer und die Küstenlinie. Es ist ein guter Halt, um Portos Beziehung zur Schifffahrt, zur Küstenverteidigung und zur atlantischen Landschaft der Stadt besser zu verstehen.
Mehrere Schichten Geschichte
Die Ursprünge der Befestigung reichen in die Regierungszeit von König Sebastian zurück. Die Arbeiten begannen 1570, und die frühe Anlage wird mit dem Festungsbaumeister Simão de Ruão verbunden. Sie bezog ältere religiöse Gebäude der Benediktiner von Santo Tirso ein und stand in Beziehung zu einer Renaissancekirche sowie einem Abtspalast, die von Miguel da Silva gefördert wurden und deren Entwurf Francesco de Cremona zugeschrieben wird.
Nach der Wiederherstellung der portugiesischen Unabhängigkeit im 17. Jahrhundert wurde die Küstenverteidigung dringlicher. Der französische Ingenieur Charles Lassart entwarf eine stärkere, den militärischen Anforderungen der Zeit angepasste Umgestaltung. Die Arbeiten wurden vom benediktinischen Architekten João Turriano geleitet. Das Fort wurde mit Bastionen erweitert und so organisiert, dass die Artillerie vor allem zur Landseite konzentriert werden konnte.
Vom Militärbau zum Kulturerbe
Das Fort ist mit mehreren wichtigen Momenten der portugiesischen Geschichte verbunden. Im Jahr 1808, während des Halbinselkriegs, wurde hier die portugiesische Flagge gehisst, einer der ersten Akte des Widerstands gegen die napoleonische Besatzung. Später, während der Belagerung von Porto, half die Festung, die Anlandung von Nachschub für die liberalen Truppen zu schützen.
Mit der Entwicklung von Artillerie und Schiffbau verlor die Anlage allmählich ihre Verteidigungsfunktion. Später wurde sie als politisches Gefängnis genutzt und blieb mit Episoden wie der Inhaftierung von Jesuiten im 18. Jahrhundert verbunden. Im 20. Jahrhundert kam eine unerwartete literarische Verbindung hinzu: Die Dichterin Florbela Espanca lebte 1921 im Fort mit ihrem Ehemann, einem Offizier der Garnison.
Worauf man achten sollte
Trotz der Veränderungen sind die defensive Dimension der Anlage, ihre strategische Lage an der Douro-Mündung und Elemente wie das neoklassizistische Eingangsportal aus dem späten 18. Jahrhundert noch gut nachvollziehbar. Seit 1967 ist das Fort São João Baptista da Foz als Bauwerk von öffentlichem Interesse klassifiziert und bleibt ein lohnender Ort für militärisches Erbe, Porto-Geschichte und Meerblick.
Da es nicht wie ein konventionelles touristisches Denkmal funktioniert, sollte man die Besuchsbedingungen im Voraus prüfen, besonders bei Gruppen.
Sobre Porto
Die Invicta, Weltkulturerbestadt mit ihrem historischen Zentrum am Flussufer. Hauptstadt des Nordens, berühmt für Portwein, Brücken und Francesinha.
Google-Bewertungen
One of many forts in the area. Highlights for this one include it being free to enter, nice landscaping, and excellent location. This fort operates as a city park this is free (no cost) to enter. The landscaping inside and outside the perimeter wall is well manicured—it looks so nice. While many forts in town provide views of one or the other, this fort provides views of both the ocean and the Douro Rover as it flows into the Atlantic. On our visit, we were able to freely walk nearly the entire property which included a few rooms inside, much of the upper parapet, moat areas, and an exterior courtyard within the perimeter wall. It was not crowded at all—I think we only saw two other people on our early morning, weekday visit. Again, there are several of these forts in town, but I think this was my favorite.
Great Fort, lots of things to see. It is free to get in. Lovely views on a clear day. Well worth 30 to 60 minutes to look around.
It was quite a walk from downtown Porto, but well worth it! The fort itself is small, but free to wander in and the ruins of the church inside were very interesting. We stopped at a couple of botanical gardens along the way that were very enjoyable as well. Seeing where the Douro joins the Atlantic was a great addition to the other sites we saw while in Porto.
The abbot of Santo Tirso monastery and bishop of Viseu, Dom Miguel da Silva, had a church and abbots residence built where the fort now stands, for which he resorted to the services of the Italian architect Francesco de Cremona. Together with the São Miguel-o-Anjo Lighthouse (completed in 1527 a few hundred meters away from the fort), they were the first manifestations of Renaissance architecture in Northern Portugal). The fort was commissioned in 1567, one year after an attack by French pirates on Madeira.[1] Construction of the fort began during the reign of King Sebastian (1557–1578), in 1570, and took eight years, under the supervision of João Gomes da Silva, a diplomat and trusted man of the Court and designed by the master of fortifications Simão de Rouen, son of Jean de Rouen, it consisted of a simple bastioned structure, surrounding the old medieval structures of the hospice, monastery, and the church of the Benedictines of Santo Tirso. With the War of Restoration of independence, the remodeling of the fort was deemed necessary. Fearing a Spanish invasion along the northern border of the kingdom, King John IV (1640–56) dispatched the new Chief Engineer of the Kingdom, the French Charles Lassart, to the city of Porto in 1642. He had the opportunity to verify, in loco, the ineffectiveness of the 16th century structure in the face of 17th century offensive means, and he prepared a new project that expanded and reinforced it. The works were in charge of the Benedictine architect João Turriano. However, problems raised by the source of funds at the Porto City Council and personal problems of the forts Lieutenant-Governor Pinto de Matos (1643–1645) significantly delayed the start of the works. With the appointment of Martim Gonçalves da Câmara, as a replacement for Pinto de Matos (May 1646), work finally started, with the demolition of the Old Church in the same year. The chancel and nave of the church, with the involvement of the bastioned structure and the dismantling of the cover, functioned as the fort's courtyard.[1] Made a priority in the face of the invasion of Minho by Spanish troops, they were completed in 1653. Two years later, it was considered the second stronghold in the kingdom, after Fort São Julião da Barra, and the key to the city of Porto, which the fort not only secured but also the entire province of Entre-Douro e Minho and that of Beira. At the end of the 17th century, in 1694, it was garrisoned by an infantry terço paid by the Porto city hall. As a result of the evolution of ships and artillery, the fort gradually lost its defensive function, being used as a prison for political prisoners. In 1759, when the Society of Jesus was expelt, 227 Jesuits were held there. Among the illustrious names who were detained in their prisons, at the time of the Marquis of Pombal stand out those of Tomás da Silva Teles, Viscount of Vila Nova de Cerveira (who died there in 1762), and José de Seabra da Silva, and in the 19th century, the liberals José da Silva Passos and the Duke of Terceira. At the beginning of the 19th century, during the Peninsular War, on June 6, 1808, Sergeant Major Raimundo José Pinheiro occupied its premises and, in the following dawn, hoisted the Portuguese flag on its mast, the first act of Portuguese insurrection against the Napoleonic occupation. The fortification would be involved a few years later in the Portuguese Civil War, having protected the landing of supplies, during the siege of Porto (1832–1833). In the 20th century it was the residence of the poet Florbela Espanca, wife of one of the officers of the garrison. It was classified as a "Property of Public Interest" in 1967.[1] After being abandoned for a few years, in the first half of the 1990s, the monument underwent archaeological intervention under the responsibility of the Urban Archeology Office of the Museum and Historical and Artistic Heritage Division of the Porto city council. It currently houses the National Defense Institute.
Interesting 16th century defensive fort that you can freely explore. It has a few interesting nooks and crannies, and the abandoned remains of the old church of Sao Joao da Foz do Doura which had been built by the order of the Bishop Dom Miguel da Silva and designed by the italian architect Francesco da Cremona. Not all of the fort and church is accessible because it's a bit in disrepair and some areas are full of debris or just dangerous. I'm not sure why the Portuguese government hasn't taken better care of it... This fort was a key part of the coastal defenses protecting the Douro bar. Its construction began in 1570 and was completed in 1647 when the existing ramparts were built.
Nutzerbewertungen
Bewertung schreiben
Noch keine Bewertungen. Sei die erste Person, die bewertet!
Sehenswürdigkeiten in der Nähe
Kirche São João Baptista da Foz do Douro (Porto)
Porto (Portugal) 0.5 km
Arroz de Cabidela von Casa Rocha (Porto)
Porto (Portugal) 0.5 km
Puddingtörtchen - Café 55, Porto
Porto (Portugal) 1.4 kmGeodätischer Punkt Dominicanos
Porto (Portugal) 1.4 km
Aussichtspunkt Douro-Mündung (Vila Nova de Gaia)
Vila Nova de Gaia (Portugal) 1.5 km